It’s December… you’ve survived the food fest of Thanksgiving and the shopping battles of Black Friday and Cyber Monday but still have gifts to buy. If you’re looking for something for that active person, fitness enthusiast or loved one that just needs to get up and move more, look no further! I’ve compiled a list of fun, thoughtful and even practical gifts that are not only unique, but show you really care. I give to you my 12 gifts of a Fit Christmas!
- 1. Trigger Point The GRID Foam Roller (~$40), The Tiger Tail Massager (~$30), and Lacrosse or tennis ball (~$3+) – Any one or all of these are good for not only relieving holiday stress, but for restoring function by getting rid of those knots in your muscles allowing for pain free and fluid movement. Simply rolling out the knots with one of these tools can greatly enhance your comfort and the success of your workouts. Eliminating those knots is probably one of the most widely occurring and misunderstood roadblocks to getting the most out of more traditional exercises and reaching your goals.
- 2. TRX (~$100 – $300) – A very cool and relevant way to add many functional and very effective exercises almost anywhere. TRX is a leveraged bodyweight training system that can attach to a ceiling beam, wall mount or outside on a tree branch/fence allowing you to train with a method used in the military, athletic training facilities and commercial gyms all over the world. We utilize TRX Training systems at SLINKFIT on a very regular basis – in our Personal / Guided Training, Small Group, AND Team Training Sessions. You can also visit the TRXTraining YouTube Channel to learn more about their story and products.
- 3. Gymboss Interval Timer (~$20) – Let’s face it, it’s hard to push yourself between exercises with minimal rest, but it’s one of the best ways to ramp up training intensity and reach new fitness levels! This digital device puts time on your side by taking the guesswork out of how long you’ve been resting and gets you back to your work sets. Happy Tabatas everyone!
- 4. Ninja Blender (~$60+) – Do you eat enough vegetables and fruit? Probably not. We’re busy and who has time to chop, cut, peel, dice then boil, steam, sear and grill? Put this high powered vortex to work and create easy to drink smoothies, shakes and green drinks chock full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and all the fiber. Add protein powder and create meal replacements. Use your imagination or follow recipes that mix unique favor combinations.
- 5. Kettlebells (~$70) – Who thought swinging a weight between your legs could be so effective in gaining total body strength, building athletic power and producing real fat loss? Sometimes called a hand held gym, these retro fitness tools are traced back to old Russia and are a simple and effective way to perform a host of unique movements that get results fast.
- 6. SLINKFIT membership or training gift certificate (~$40+) – Have a friend or loved one in the Kansas City area that’s been wanting to take that extra step forward with Fitness? We’ve got an array of options that suit different schedules and individual training styles! Are you looking for some friends to work out with? Be sure to check out our Small Group & Team Training Classes! Have some specific movement pains you’d like to alleviate? Perhaps some Personal Training is in order. Whatever skill level / specific needs – we want to help educate and inspire those in the Kansas City area to achieve their fitness goals!
- 7. Jumprope (~$5+), Valslides (~$30+), & Superbands (~$8+) – Body weight training is popular right now for good reason…it works! This package makes it easy to stay on track even if your schedule requires that you travel extensively. Each of these items are lightweight and small so they pack easily but are still effective at delivering a great workout at home, hotel room or even at the gym…we use these frequently here at SLINKFIT.
- 8. Fitbit (~$25+) or Nike + Fuelband (~$149) – Ever wonder how many calories you burned in a workout or how far you walked or ran? Take the guesswork out of it by using a tracking device! Track nutrition, steps, get feedback and more….perfect for the gadget minded person on your list.
- 9. Go Pro Hero3 Camera (~$199+) – While it’s not necessary to document your adventure or fitness experience, it’s pretty cool to show your friends what your view was first hand. This camera has become a way for many to do just that. It can be mounted to a helmet, handlebar, bumper, dashboard, snowboard, surfboard, boat…you name it – to capture some really unique perspectives with incredible clarity and definition. Now you have proof of your black diamond run, table top jump or trip down whitewater rapids.
- 10. Weighted vest (X-vest) (~$200+) – Here’s a quick way to GAIN weight and increase performance in terms of strength, speed and weight loss. Strap one of these to your torso to add resistance from 2 to 84 lbs. to all bodyweight actives and burn more calories, increase agility, improve vertical jump through over-loading causing the body and nervous system to reprogram and adjust to this new level of resistance.
- 11. 3-N-1 Cube Plyo Box (~$130) – The simple act of jumping on a box can have many positive effects: Power production, leg strength, coordination and total body conditioning just to name a few. This single box makes it easy to progress or allow for different movements – as well as athletes can use just one box and still get the proper training.
- 12. Slackline (~$75+) – What is slacklining? “Slacklining is the act of balancing along a narrow, flexible piece of webbing which is low to the ground and usually anchored between two trees.” Get ready because even the most accomplished at balancing will be challenged. While it isn’t easy, who doesn’t need better balance for everyday life, sport and keeping nimble as we age? Other benefits include core strength and coordination.
These are just a small selection of some of the really useful tools out there, the most important part of all is of course keeping yourself motivated and moving forward! Here’s to living a Fit Life and having a Fit Christmas!